If you are planning to take a trip outside the USA, there are some things you can do to stay connected and saving money. First, contact your carrier 1-2 weeks in advance. You will need to know the date you are leaving and the date you are coming back. It is a good idea to leave the package on for an extra day or two, just in case there are delays in your return. Key considerations:
- Is the phone your using a global device?
- Will it work in your destination?
- What is the cost per minute to use the phone there?
- Would the cost be lower if you add the $5.99 Global Value Plan? (This is included free for all Verizon Wireless business accounts with a business discount.)
- Do you use a smartphone? If so, you need a global data plan added to the account. You will also need a Global SIM card. They are free and your carrier will either ship one to you or you can pick it up at a Verizon Wireless store. The global data plan cannot be activated until you have the SIM number added to the account.
- In over 200 countries, Verizon Wireless offer a new Global Data plan that provides significant cost savings. The cost of the Global Data plan is $25.00 for 100 MB’s and if you go over the 100 MB’s you pay an additional $25 for each additional 100 MB’s. If you add the plan mid-cycle, the cost and MBs will be prorated to the days you have the plan. It is a good idea to backdate to the beginning of the current bill cycle so that the entire amount of global data is available. Data is billed at $20.00 per 1 MB if you do not activate the Global Data plan (you must add “pay as you go”) and in countries where Verizon Wireless does not have this special roaming agreement.
- A Verizon Wireless customer service representative can email you dialing instructions and rates for your destination. It will include instructions for calling Global customer service and how to check your voice mail while traveling abroad.
- If you have a 3G phone dial *228 send from your handset and choose option number 2 to update your towers before you leave. If you have a 4G phone simply take out your SIM card and wait 30 seconds and then put it back in. This will update your roaming capability and ensure the best call quality while traveling.
- If you have any issues with the phone not making or receiving calls or sending data, remove your battery with the phone on, wait one minute, and then put it back in and let the phone find the closest tower. If this doesn’t work, call Global care.
Have a safe trip!